Thursday, June 7, 2012

Take a Kid Fishing Today

Well, it’s vacation time.  No…not for me…for my grandchildren.  When grandkids come to visit for a week it may be their vacation time but it’s not ours.  Ask any grandparent.

But, I wouldn’t trade it for anything.  But…I do need to remember to thank God (assuming I travel in that direction!) for allowing us to become parents while we were still young.  WHEW!

I am truly blessed with four incredible grandkids...and one on the way this summer.  I know…you have incredible grandkids too, good for you…but, just not quite as incredible as mine.  Hey…it’s my blog! 

One of my grandsons loves to play golf and the other loves to fish.  Go figure!  Wonder how that happened?  How great can life get?   While visiting us my grandson from North Carolina played golf with me from 10:00am to 5:30pm on two different days! 

That may not seem like a big deal until you realize he just turned 7…and it was 100-degrees…! 

He shot a legitimate 117 from the red tees.  The next time I allowed him to skip the tees and go directly to the fairway and tee off.  (Most holes are too long for him to get over the rough between the tee box and the start of the fairway.)   Since he didn’t have to take several strokes getting out of the rough to the fairway…he shot a legitimate 94…that’s a 23 shot improvement! 

I have taken him golfing since he was 2-years old.

Move over Tiger!

My other grandson lives here.  He loves to fish…no I don’t mean he “likes” to fish…he LOVES to fish!  Most mornings the first question he asks his parents is, “Can I go fishing”?  He is fortunate to live in the country and have his own pond to fish and that pond is loaded with bass. 

I first introduced him to fishing when he was only 2-years old.  I have a picture of him “hugging” a large crappie I had caught.  By the time he was 3-years old he would reel in my lure after I had made a cast or hooked a fish.  He learned to cast a closed faced spinning reel by the time he was 3 ½ and soon after caught a fish all by himself…that means he cast, reeled, hooked and landed it without help!  He owns 3-fishing outfits, a tackle box and fishes exclusively with treble hook lures (crankbaits and topwaters). 

Yes, we have rules…like he is not allowed to touch the lures…only his “poppy” can touch them.   He has learned not to pull and jerk while trying to free a lure from being caught…only his “poppy” is allowed to get a lure free.  No fishing without an adult…etc.  Yes, he obeys those rules…most of the time!

Move over KVD!

Since the grandkids are here I can’t go fishing on the public lakes which means I will not be posting my usual enlightening and often brilliant blog postings…not to mention my award winning (okay…they should be award winning!) videos. 

However, taking a kid fishing ANYWHERE ANYTIME is critical to that child growing up appreciating the great outdoors.  So that qualifies for this week’s posting topic…

TAKE A KID FISHING NOW!! 

One more thing…NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE ABILITY OF A CHILD!  Yes, both of my grandsons are exceptional…one at golf the other at fishing…

…yes, (no doubt) because of my amazing abilities…which clearly skipped generations!

However, that doesn’t mean your child or grandchild can’t learn as well.  Take them fishing (or golfing)…or something in the outdoors today!!

Note: My grandson hooked this fish after casting the lure by himself.  He dropped the rod because it pulled to hard for him to hold on to it.  Once I picked the rod up…he grabbed it and reeled it in by himself. 

This video shows why you should take a kid fishing today!  You will note that I am more excited than him.

Until next time…go fishing…keep some to eat…turn back the rest…check back in soon.
Clay Dixon
Web Site: KansasFisherman.com
Email: clay@kansasfisherman.com

No comments:

Post a Comment