Thursday, June 14, 2012

Sometimes It’s Better to Be Lucky Than Good

First things first.

One of the benefits of traveling around to fish the various lakes is that you get to see places that you otherwise might not get to see.  Such was the case when I traveled to the Southlakes Park at Seneca and 55th street.  On the SW corner of I-235 and Seneca is a restaurant called “Just Catfish”.  Doesn’t look like much…doesn’t even look like a restaurant.  Don’t let looks deceive you.
My wife and I went to dinner there a couple of nights ago and it was GREAT!  The people and service was great, the food was great, the view out back to a lake was great and the price was great.  I STRONGLY recommend you go enjoy this place and tell them Clay (the Kansas Fisherman) sent you.  Okay, they won’t know me…but tell them the guy doing the fishing videos sent you and they will know.  P.S.:  The German chocolate cake is to die for!  I even brought a piece home.  They have other things except catfish including chicken, etc.  Just go there and try it…you won’t be disappointed.  It’s the blue (yes blue!) building that looks like a house.
Now to fishing. 
This was another tough day of fishing.  I failed to read about the lake before leaving the house so I arrived not knowing I could have put my small boat on the lake.  That would have been a huge help since the water is extremely clear.  Of course I arrive the day after a storm front goes through and the sky is clear with a lot of sun making fishing even more difficult when combined with the clear water.  In short, I need to pay more attention.  Had I brought my boat it still would have been tough but at least I would have had some options.  However, I did manage to catch three fish (2 bass and 1 catfish).  Not another person on the lake had a fish except me.  Two guys couldn’t even get bluegill to bite.
You will note that I did not post my usual instructional (and extremely entertaining) “What We Learned Today” video.  No need to.  What you are about to see on this video will both amuse you and shock you and it will teach you all you need to know without doing another video.  The “lesson” will be self-evident.

When you get to the part with me trying to catch the catfish remember one thing…it took over 6-minutes to do it…but I had to cut the video down for two reasons.  First, you would have gone to sleep and second, so it wouldn't be so long that it wouldn't upload on the blog.  So I saved you the “boredom” of watching me trying to catch this fish and cut out most of the “casting” action. 
However, you won’t be bored with what happens nor how it happens.  I also learned an interesting trick.  When I put my polarized fishing sunglasses in front of the video camera lens…you can actually see down into the water as if you are wearing the glasses!  So…you can actually see this catfish on a bed in a couple of feet of water.  How cool is that!  So watch for it.  It’s in the middle of the screen…see if you can find the fish.  .
The streak is alive but, as in this case, sometimes you just have to be lucky.  Then again, sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good.
Until next time…go fishing…keep some to eat…turn back the rest…check back in soon.
Clay Dixon


3 comments:

  1. Just looking at the tail on the catfish, bullhead? love your blog btw, great thing you're doing here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the positive comments.

    You are right...it is a bullhead although I called it a channel cat at the time. Guess I got a little excited...lol. Glad you enjoy the Blog and hopefully tune in to the Web Site as well at http://www.kansasfisherman.com

    Thanks again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll check it out! Great seeing you have luck at area lakes I have not. Keep the streak alive!!

    ReplyDelete