Thursday, May 3, 2012

Watch the Wind

Let me say upfront that you need to be prepared to hear a lot of wind on the video.  Sorry, but I didn’t have an option, so we just have to put up with it.  However, there is a VERY valuable and IMPORTANT fishing lesson to be learned from this particular trip!

Fishing the Valley Center – McLaughlin Pond brought back memories.  It’s the only body of water I will fish doing this “project” that I have actually fished before other than the major reservoirs.  It was a couple of years ago and I was asked to give a fishing demo and class to a group of kids from church and tie it into a “Sunday School” lesson for them.   That day I gave a brief talk…made one cast…and caught a 12” bass.  First cast!  I stopped…told them it was their turn and I never made another cast that day.  (No need to risk my reputation!)
Today I made a cast to the same spot and…you guessed it…got a strike, but I didn’t land the fish.  What is interesting is that today’s lesson is a very important one and is the EXACT same fishing lesson I gave the class that day two years ago…“Watch the Wind”!
However, today wasn’t so much about fishing as it was “experiencing”.  The conditions were tough with high winds making the small 3-acre pond difficult to fish.  But the “experience” was GREAT!
You will understand when you watch the video.  It’s simply BEAUTIFUL!  It has a waterfall, walking trail (some might call it a jogging trail…not me…jogging and trail don’t go together in my vocabulary!) basketball courts and other park amenities.  It is a GREAT place to take a book, take a walk or take a child.
While there, two things happened.  First, I kept my “streak” alive by catching a fish…actually more than one…in spite of the conditions.   Second, a high school biology class showed up for some “hands-on” schooling.  While that ended the fishing it didn’t end the “experience”. 

The teacher was happy to do a short interview and it’s very educational…and even helpful from a fishing perspective.  Hope you enjoy it.
The lesson we learned today is “Watch the wind”.  It can be your friend or your enemy…it all depends if you understand how it can help you.  Video-taping was certainly an issue…always is with the wind.  But there is a very valuable lesson that you can apply every time you go fishing as it relates to effectively fishing in the wind.
Hope this lesson helps you catch more fish on your favorite body of water.

Until next time…go fishing…keep some to eat…turn back the rest…and check back in soon.

Clay
http://www.KansasFisherman.com


No comments:

Post a Comment