Thursday, May 3, 2012

Size Matters

If I have noticed one thing that seems consistently true while fishing and documenting the various local lakes it’s that most people are using bait, lures and/or equipment that is considerably too big for what they are trying to catch. 

Let's be honest...these smaller bodies of water may contain some big fish...but the AVERAGE size is what is important when you go fishing.  I've watched people fishing with "saltwater" rigs for catfish when the average fish they will catch (assuming they will actually catch anything!) is 1-3lbs.  no wonder they seldom catch anything and no wonder they complain about the fishing being no good.  I watched one guy catch a catfish that put a huge bend in his rod only to see him reel in a fish that weighted 1 ½ lbs.  His weight looked like it weighed more than the fish...! 

That's just plain crazy.  The people I have seen catching fish are "matching the hatch" with their equipment.  That is, they are using lures, bait and equipment that are equal to the AVERAGE fish they expect to catch.  I wouldn't go saltwater fishing with a crappie ultra-light rod and reel for the same reason I wouldn't be using saltwater equipment to catch a 2lb catfish.  Matching all parts of your equipment for what you are GOING to catch...not what you MIGHT catch...is key...!

For example…of all of those people I see catfishing, 90% are using too heavy equipment.  They would catch a LOT more fish if they used a 6.6ft medium to medium heavy action rod with 10-12lb test line.  In most cases a small ¼ to ½ oz weight is plenty.  Sometimes you can use something smaller…even just a spit-shot (like Lester was using on the KDOT East Lake...posting "It's in the Details"). 

Weight size is determined by wind, current and water depth.  In Kansas wind conditions are usually the most important consideration.  You must have enough weight to cast your bait and still maintain “feel” while the bait is on the bottom.  The stronger the wind the heavier the weight needed to reduce the “bow” in your line caused by strong winds. 
I’ve watched people using weights of 1 to 2 ounces!  Except in extreme conditions these weights are too much.  (NOTE: Your weight can chance on the same day on the same lake depending on weather conditions and where you are fishing at the time.  Weights will differ if you are fishing “down wind” versus “cross wind” for example.)  If you change positions on the lake…chances are you will need to chance the size of your weight!

While fishing the KDOT West Lake I missed considerably more fish than I caught…at least at first.  I carry a small tackle box around my waist with various lures, along with a small batch of crappie lures.  Problem was that my “normal” bass lures were too big and I had left my crappie rod in the truck.  Duh!  By the time I had fished ½ way around the lake I knew I needed to make a change.  I had caught some bass on “normal” size lures but had lost many, many more.  I fished my way around the rest of the lake…went to my truck…got my crappie rod…tied on a small crappie size crankbait…and caught fish after fish as I worked my way around the lake again.
When you go fishing ask yourself two questions.  First, what am I fishing for and second what size of fish do I ACTUALLY expect to catch (not WANT to catch!) given the AVERAGE size of fish in the lake?  Match your equipment, lures or bait, and weight size accordingly.  Use the LIGHTEST weight possible that still allows you to cast the bait, keep the “bow” out of your line and feel the strike.  

The KDOT West Lake literally has hundreds (if not thousands) of small 10-13” bass.  Yes, it has bigger fish as well…but the AVERAGE fish is less than 14”.  So if you go fishing there (and I strongly recommend you do!) take an ultra-light with small crappie size lures.  NOTE: This lake is FULL of crappie as well.  While I didn’t manage to catch any several others that day were!

Until next time…go fishing…keep some to eat…turn back the rest…check back in soon.

Clay

No comments:

Post a Comment